Gallery POPPING: Sylvia Ji
"Haute Epoch" Recap


I was so eager to finally see some of Sylvia Ji's work in person that I arrived at the Corey Helford Gallery in Culver City, LA to find the doors locked; this was the second time that I had shown up during an installation. So, I went back the following Tuesday to view one of my favorite artist's work. To say that I was blown away is an understatement, I loved the rich colors, the glossy artwork on wood and the intricate gold designs that Sylvia had incorporated in this series. As I was gazing my friend was asked, “Why is she painting scary stuff?" It was the perfect time to explain the Mexican "Day of the Dead" theme that Ji has been drawn to for about two years now. The way that she paints women in general is very sensual and dreamlike and I love when we women can be depicted in this light. As an artist and art collector who concentrates on the subject of women, I find great pleasure that I am in the company of emerging artists such as Sylvia Ji who are on a mission to represent women in a positive manner.



Click pic to enlarge





+Check out the entire show here
+ More Sylvia Ji

No comments:

Post a Comment